0

Hacking retrial over corrupt payments

Posted by Warren Fyfe on June 30, 2014 in Warren Fyfe Site

Andy Coulson (left) and Clive Goodman. Pics: Reuters/GettyAndy Coulson (left) and Clive Goodman are both former employees of the News of the World

Ex-News of the World editor Andy Coulson and its former royal editor Clive Goodman are to face a retrial on a charge of buying royal telephone directories from police officers.

An Old Bailey jury failed to reach a verdict on the charges last week.

Coulson was found guilty last week of conspiracy to hack phones and faces a maximum of two years in prison.

He is due to be sentenced later this week for plotting to hack phones at the NoW between 2000 and 2006.

Prosecutor Andrew Edis QC said: “The CPS has taken the position to proceed with the retrial.”

Coulson appeared on Monday at the Old Bailey as the sentencing process began, alongside former colleagues Neville Thurlbeck, Greg Miskiw and James Weatherup who have all admitted their part in what the court heard was “systemic misconduct”.

Private detective Glenn Mulcaire also appeared, for his part in the hacking plot. Former NoW reporter Dan Evans, who has also admitted phone hacking, will be sentenced separately in late July.

BBC political correspondent Robin Brant said the court proceedings meant that the News of the World hacking team – who were at the heart of a hacking scheme on an industrial scale – had effectively been reunited.

Cameron apology

After leaving the News of the World, Coulson, 46, of Charing in Kent, later became director of communications for Prime Minister David Cameron.

Clive Goodman, 56, of Addlestone, Surrey, is the newspaper’s former royal editor and pleaded guilty to phone hacking in 2006.

Coulson was News of the World editor from 2003-07 then worked for the Conservative Party from 2007 and became the PM’s director of communications after the 2010 election.

Following Coulson’s conviction Mr Cameron apologised for hiring him and said it had been “the wrong decision”.

The News of the World was closed by its parent company, News International, in July 2011 after it emerged that it had instructed a private investigator to intercept – or “hack” – voicemails left on the mobile phone of murdered Surrey teenager Milly Dowler in 2002.

Police say thousands of people’s phones were targeted.

Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28086528#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Copyright © 2012-2018 Warren Fyfe.com All rights reserved.
This site is using the Multi Child-Theme, v2.1, on top of
the Parent-Theme Desk Mess Mirrored, v2.1, from BuyNowShop.com.